SM PARISH COUNCIL - MINUTES OF MANAGERS OF STELLING MINNIS COMMON MEETINGS

STELLING MINNIS WEB SITE

 

STELLING MINNIS PARISH COUNCIL

 

MINUTES OF MEETINGS OF MANAGERS OF STELLING MINNIS COMMON AND STELLING MINNIS CHARITABLE TRUST

 

Go to home page       Go to Index and Contents         Go to Stelling Minnis Parish Council Page

Go to the Managers of Stelling Minnis Common and Stelling Minnis Charitable Trust page

THE FOLLOWING MINUTES ARE COPIES OF THOSE GIVEN TO STELLING MINNIS PARISH COUNCIL, AND ARE AVAILABLE TO ANYBODY WITH AN INTEREST.

ANY QUESTIONS SHOULD BE RAISED WITH THE MANAGERS OF STELLING MINNIS COMMON AND NOT STELLING MINNIS PARISH COUNCIL. 

Go to Managers of Stelling Minnis Common and Stelling Minnis Charitable Trust Web Page - click here.

To read minutes of the Managers of Stelling Minnis Common meetings click on the relevant date below to read as a PDF file.

 For earlier minutes please contact the Secretary - click here

 2012:

Minnis Managers Minutes - January 2012

 

April 2012   

 

 

 Minnis Managers Minutes - July 2012

October 2012

2013:

January 2013

April 2013

Minnis Managers Minutes - July 2013

October 2013 

2014:

 January 2014

April 2014 (Minutes not supplied)

July 2014

October 2014

Charitable Trust Minutes - October 2014

2015:

Minnis Managers AGM - Jan 2015

Minnis Managers Minutes - Jan 2015

Charitable Trust AGM - Jan 2015

Charitable Trust Minutes - Jan 2015

Minnis Managers Minutes - April 2015

Minnis Managers Minutes - July 2015

Minnis Managers Minutes - October 2015

2016:

Minnis Managers Minutes - January 2016

Minnis Charitable Trust Minutes - January 2016

Minnis Managers Minutes - March 2016

Minnis Managers Minutes - July 2016

Minnis Managers Minutes - September 2016

Minnis Managers Minutes - November 2016

2017:

Minnis Managers Minutes - January 2017

Minnis Managers Minutes - April 2017

Minnis Managers Minutes - July 2017

 

 

 

 

 

       

 

 

back to top


 

 

MEETING OF MANAGERS OF STELLING MINNIS COMMON

 

Date:               14th October 2014

 

Held at:           Stelling Minnis Village Hall

 

Present:         K Smyth (Chairman), G Baldwin, I Champion, M Hamilton, D Cripps

 

Attendees:     C Gooch, A Day

 

Apologies 

 

A Barchi, S Chantler, R Griffin, J Haffenden

Action

Minutes of last AGM

 

Approved and signed by Chairman

 

 

Matters Arising

 

None

 

 

 

Correspondence

 

None

 

 

 

Tree Thinning in the Northern section

 

Dan Tuson had advised that the proposed thinning was on the borderline for needing a felling licence and it was agreed that a licence should therefore be applied for before felling commenced.

CG advised a licence would take 6-8 weeks to be issued and he would assist IC with the completion of the application

It was noted that fallen trees that were not causing any problems should be left in situ.

 

 

 

 

 

 

IC

 

Reports

  • Secretary –  None

 

  • Grazing
      • GB reported that the cattle grazing needed to be continually moved and reminded the meeting of the need for the water levels in the drinking troughs to be regularly monitored.
      • KS advised that a member of the public had raised concerns regarding the condition and attitude of the cattle but that he had reassured them that the cattle were in good condition and foraging as expected and desired

 

  • Ponds/School Liaison – No report from AB but KS noted that as part of the FOSM working party the pond fringes may need mowing.

 

  • Mowing – KS has continued mowing and rolling but it was noted that the need for rolling would reduce as the cattle did their job.

 

  • Trees/Scrub/ Bird Boxes/Owl Boxes/Surveys
      • IC reported that it had been confirmed that there was Ash Dieback on the Minnis and that they should be left and there was nothing to be done. It was reported that KS had provided a report for publication in the parish magazine containing advice to users of the Minnis on what they can do to minimise the risk of spreading the disease to other areas.
      • RG, IC and KS are to construct Dormice Boxes and CG offered to enquire as to availability of off-cut wood as he has done before.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

RG/IC/KS

Press Releases

KS article in the Parish magazine will include in addition to the Note regarding Ash Dieback a reminder that it is an offence to burn rubbish on the Minnis

 

 

KS

Any Other Business

 

CG reported on the following planning applications:-

Sunnyside – Old cottage being demolished and replaced with a Huf House, it will have Kent peg tiles on the roof facing the road and solar panels to the rear

Little Mead – the boundaries and the fence lines have been agreed and the owner will re-fence in the agreed positions.

 

It was discussed and agreed that the managers would like to arrange a visit for circa 12 persons to visit Knepp Castle to see how they are managing the estate which CG reported as being dramatic and interesting. CG will liaise with the Savills estate manager to arrange a suitable date in summer 2015.

 

CG advised the meeting that he is due to retire from Savills 31st December 2014. No decisions as to his replacement had yet been made,

 

Fencing for grazing – it was noted that the existing arrangement is permitted until 2017 and that its continuation or alternative arrangements will need to be discussed and agreed before then. This will be put on the agenda for the January 2015 meeting so that a plan of action can be charted and a public meeting arranged.

 

Date and Time of Next Meeting

 

7th January 2015

 

 

 

 

 

 

back to top

 


Meeting of the Managers of Stelling Minnis Common

 

Date:               9th July 2014

 

Held at:           Stelling Minnis Village Hall

 

Present:         K Smyth (Chairman) R Griffin, A Barchi, J Haffenden, G Baldwin, I Champion, M Hamilton, A Day.

 

Attendees:

 

Apologies 

 

 S Chantler, D Cripps, C Gooch.

 

Action

Minutes of last AGM

 

Approved.  Ann Days attendance at this meeting to be confirmed (To be signed at next meeting)

 

 

 

DC

Matters Arising

Contained within the body of these minutes.

                                                                           

 

Correspondence

An enquiry was received from the Parish Council as to who was responsible for clearing access to the Fire Hydrant. It has since been confirmed that the responsibility lies with the Fire Service and the PC with take the issue up with them direct.

IC noted that one of the new signs, opposite the telephone exchange, had been damaged by the verge mower. JH agreed to take this up with the appropriate authorities.

 

 

 

 

 

JH

Tree Thinning in Northern Section

We await advice from Dan Tuson regarding the potential of thinning a small area of densely populated trees in the northern section of the Minnis.

 

IC

Reports

  • Secretary – None
  • Grazing – Continues with both Sheep and Cattle
  • Ponds and School Liaison – AB noted that the Headmaster, John Gray, Governors, Teachers, Pupils and Parents wished to express their thanks to the Owners and Managers for the use of the Minnis for the very successful Forest School program.

It was however pointed out that on the days when this operates the signs and boundary markers were being removed by an unknown person or persons. KS agreed to remind residents that the Forest School is an activity approved by the Owners and Managers of Stelling Minnis Common.

  • Mowing – Continues and Hay making to take place in July. Bales to be donated to Local Animal Charity as in past years.
  • Trees/Scrub/Bird Boxes/Owl Boxes/Surveys - None

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

KS

Any other Business

AD requested that attention be given to fallen trees, outside the Trial Areas, when clearance begins in the Autumn of 2014.

IC that following a conversation with CG, that permission had been given to clear and access to Reg Huntleys property in Pony Cart Lane to fell some Ash trees on his property after Oct 1st 2014.

AD confirmed that some of the bird boxes were in need of repair.

 

None

 

 

Date and Time of Next Meeting

 

8th October 2014

7th January 2015

 


Meeting of Stelling Minnis Charitable Trust

 

Date:               9th July 2014

 

Held at:           Stelling Minnis Village Hall

 

Present:         R Griffin (Chairman), A Barchi, J Haffenden, G Baldwin, I Champion, M Hamilton,

 

Attendees:     K Smyth, A Day.

 

Apologies 

 

S Chantler, D Cripps, C Gouch.

 

Action

Minutes of last AGM

 

Approved  (to be signed by Chairman at next meeting)

 

 

Treasurers Report

 

{details to be inserted and circulated with minutes}

 

 

Trustees Approval of expenditure

 

It was reported that the Minnis managers wished to replace ten Wattle gates/Hurdles at a cost of £260. JH proposed that this expenditure from Trust funds be approved seconded by RG and unanimously approved. IC instructed to action

 

 

 

 

 

 

IC

Any other Business

 

None

 

 

Date and Time of Next Meeting

 

8th October 2014

7th January 2015

 

back to top


MEETING OF MANAGERS OF STELLING MINNIS COMMON

 

Date:               15TH January 2014

 

Held at:           Stelling Minnis Village Hall

 

Present:         K Smyth (Chairman), A Barchi, G Baldwin, I Champion, M Hamilton, S Chantler, R Griffin, D Cripps

 

Attendees:     C Gooch, J Haffenden      

 

 

Action

Apologies 

 

None

 

 

Minutes of last AGM

 

Approved and signed by Chairman

 

 

Matters Arising

 

C Gooch reported that the Trustees Representative wished to have his thanks recorded for the 10/20 year Countryside Stewardship Scheme celebration presentation which he thought was a great success.

 

 

 

Correspondence

 

None

 

 

 

Celebration of 10/20 years of the Countryside Stewardship Scheme

 

It was noted and agreed that correspondence and questions had been handled efficiently and effectively by the Chairman and it was felt that attendees had been generally and pleasantly surprised by the amount of activity in the Minnis environment.

 

 

 

Reduction in number of Trees

 

After a general discussion it was agreed that the number of trees on the Minnis needed to be further reduced and that IC would take advice from Dan Tuson as to how this could best be achieved for Autumn 2014 with possibility of using a local contractor to clear larger areas.

 

 

 

 

IC

Electric fencing

IC advised need to replace and repair wire, energisers and posts to existing electric fencing and recommended that a second set of fencing be purchased at a total aggregate cost of £1000. This action was unanimously approved by the meeting subject to the approval and release of funds by the Charitable Trust

 

 

 

IC

 

Reports

  • Secretary –  None
  • Grazing – GB  reported that extra areas are to be made available for sheep grazing
  • Ponds/School Liason – AB reported headmaster was happy and would be continuing to use the Minnis in line with previous arrangements
  • Mowing – None
  • Trees/Scrub/ Bird Boxes/Owl Boxes/Surveys – SC will carry out a survey of all boxes as soon as possible

 

 

 

GB/IC

 

 

 

 

 

 

SC

Press Releases

Agreed that a Spring (Garden Rubbish) press release should be issued

 

 

KS

Any Other Business

MH suggested that it would be useful to have an additional person with a chainsaw licence and if someone became available and was willing to train costs would be investigated.

 

 

Date and Time of Next Meeting

 

16th April 2014

9Th July 2014

8th October 2014

7th January 2015

 

back to top


 

MANAGERS OF STELLING MINNIS COMMON

MINUTES OF MEETING 9TH OCTOBER 2013
AT STELLING MINNIS VILLAGE HALL


Present – K Smyth, I Champion, R Griffin, A Barchi, J Haffenden, A Day

In Attendance – C Gooch

Absent – M Hamilton, S Chantler

1. Apologies – G Baldwin

2. Minutes of Meeting 10th July 2013 were agreed and signed by the chairman.

3. Matters Arising - none

4. Correspondence: AD had forwarded an email to the Chairman which was passed on to the
owner’s agent, Charlie Gooch for action from Mrs Carol Gillings reporting that her
neighbours at Montreaux are repeatedly burning rubbish on the Minnis with another large
pile already on the Minnis ready to be burnt.

5. Faversham Horse Society Orienteering – Was well organised, went well and no adverse
reports were received.

6. HLS Scheme application – to be read in full. Dan Tuson was congratulated and thanked by
the committee for his great help and assistance. Funding was agreed from 1st October 2013
for a further 10 years.

7. Celebration of 10/20 years of The Countryside Stewardship Scheme – to be celebrated at
the Open Evening on 30th October 2013 at 7.00pm which will be advertised. Dan Tuson
has agreed to attend and give a talk. William Trower is also going to endeavour to attend
and speak.
The order of the evening to be as follows:
Chairman to welcome everyone and introduce William Trower (if he is able to attend),
Charlie Gooch, Dan Tuson and the various Managers.
William Trower to speak or Charlie to read a report in his absence
Dan Tuson to speak
Questions received in writing and possibly further questions from the floor

8. RSPCA, Cattle, Feet and Water – Following an anonymous report to the RSPCA regarding the
welfare of the Highland cattle, they were removed as a precaution for a month. Following
veterinary inspection, they were found to be in perfect health.

9. Reports:
a) Secretary – see Correspondence above
b) Grazing – as already mentioned the cattle have been away for approximately one month
and the sheep are being moved according to grass growth in various areas. The
rolling/crushing of the bracken has been effective.
c) Ponds/School Liaison – John Gray reports that 14 - 20 children are regularly exploring
the Minnis on a generally weekly basis, which is increasing their knowledge and love of
the countryside.
IC to check Coxsole Pond for weed growth.
d) Mowing – this has been completed for the year 2013 and the increase in cost noted.
Possibility of only one mowing to be carried out next year.
e) Trees/Scrub etc – none

10. Press Release – nothing for the coming month (November), but there will be a Press
Release after the open Meeting on 30th October.

11. Any Other Business –
A discussion took place regarding the possibility of an additional area to be grazed by
cattle on the south end of the Minnis in the future.
It was agreed that Kevin Smyth as Chairman should be the point of contact in the Parish
Magazine taking over from the Secretary.
Following Ann Day’s resignation as secretary after 8 years, Deborah Cripps has
volunteered to take over the position and to shadow AD at the next meeting in January.

12. Date and time of next meeting/AGM – 15th January 2014 at 7.30pm


back to top


 

MANAGERS OF STELLING MINNIS COMMON

MINUTES OF MEETING 17th APRIL 2013
AT STELLING MINNIS VILLAGE HALL


Present – K Smyth, I Champion, R Griffin, A Barchi, M Hamilton, J Haffenden, A Day

1. Apologies – C Gooch, S Chantler, G Baldwin

2. Minutes of Meeting 16th January 2013 were agreed and signed by the chairman.

3. Matters Arising:
a) KWT Fungus Survey - IC spoke to Neil Combes and Managers will get a copy.
b) Ash Dieback Monitoring – Some trees have been inspected, some are infected and some
seem OK.
c) John Gray article for magazine – AB spoke to John Gray, the 4 oaks are fine. John Gray
suggested that children could have access to the Minnis for field study. Managers to
discuss with CG and possibly progress further with John Gray.

4. Correspondence: see Secretary’s report 6a

5. Faversham Horse Society Orienteering – see 6a i)

6. Reports:
a) Secretary –
i) Emails received from Parish Clerk and British Horse Society (Sarah Reith) re orienteering over the Minnis on horseback. Minnis Managers have no objection to 60/75 horses passing over part of the Minnis. CG to be emailed saying that Managers have no objection subject to
agreeing a route.
ii) Email from Ward Councillor (Pam Carr) re various objections/issues received by her from
residents and other locals re the electric fencing of large part of the Minnis under-used.
iii) Email from Judith Smith complaining about electric fencing – already passed to KS for
reply.
iv) Because of the above, various views were expressed concerning the lack of access to the
Managers by residents/locals. It was suggested that an open forum be held at least once and
maybe twice a year with all Managers present in order that questions could be asked by
residents and given reasons by the Managers for various actions and grazing plan be explained.
v) The Secretary tendered her resignation for the end of the year, but said she would carry on
as Treasurer if required.

b) Grazing –Cattle will be returning in May on East side of Bossingham Road.
c) Ponds/School Liaison – see 3c)
d) Mowing - none
e) Trees/Scrub/Bird Boxes/Owl Boxes/Surveys – none as SC unwell.

7. Press Release: see 3c)

8. AOB: A discussion ensued about the renewal of the Higher Level Stewardship Scheme. Following the recent report by Mr Groombridge the area of Minnis has now been registered as under 50 hectares.

9. Date and time of future meetings – 7.30pm, Stelling Minnis Village Hall on 10th July,  9th October and 15th January 2014

back to top


 

MANAGERS OF STELLING MINNIS COMMON

MINUTES OF MEETING 16th JANUARY 2013
AT STELLING MINNIS VILLAGE HALL

Present – K Smyth, I Champion, R Griffin, A Barchi, G Baldwin, S Chantler, A Day

In Attendance – C Gooch

1. Apologies – M Hamilton

2. Minutes of Meeting 17th October 2012 were agreed and signed by the chairman.

3. Matters Arising:
a) Stewardship Renewal October 2013 & Fencing 2 years later – awaiting contact from
Dan Tuson
b) Derry Lowe still involved with dormice on the Minnis
c) Charlie brought to the Managers attention that he has been having problems with
Shepway District Council not taking him into account when being presented with
Planning Applications that relate to properies adjacent to or with access across the
Minnis. Having brought it to their attention he hopes the matter has now been sorted.

4. Correspondence:
Ann reported correspondence from Jill Evington of Kent Wildlife Trust requesting
permission to carry out fungus survey on the Minnis. Permission given.
Letter from Natural England re Ash Dieback circulated to all committee members. Ash
trees will be inspected in the Spring.
No salt bag to be allowed on Minnis (close to Crown Lane junction) but permission would
be given for a permanent salt bin.

5. Reports:
a) Secretary – as above (see Correspondence)
b) Grazing – appropriate number of cows due back in Spring. Sheep also to be brought back in Spring.
c) Ponds/School Liaison – John Gray expressed appreciation of the 1st class area of the Minnis and hopes to get parents involved. It was suggested to AB that he encouraged John Gray to write and article in the parish magazine.
d) Mowing - none
e) Trees/Scrub/Bird Boxes/Owl Boxes/Surveys – nothing to report but to be inspected with Derry soon.

6. Press Release: John Gray to be persuaded by AB to write article for magazine

7. AOB: Ann brought to the managers’ attention the terrible state of the triangle outside the Rose &
Crown. Unfortunately it was decided that no action could be taken that would be appropriate.

8. Date and time of future meetings – 7.30pm, Stelling Minnis Village Hall on 17th April, 10th July,
9th October and 15th January 2014

back to top


MANAGERS OF STELLING MINNIS COMMON

 MINUTES OF MEETING 17th OCTOBER 2012

AT STELLING MINNIS VILLAGE HALL

 

Present – K Smyth, I Champion, R Griffin, A Barchi, G Baldwin, M Hamilton, J Haffenden,      

                A Day

 In Attendance – C Gooch

1.   Apologies – S Chantler

 2.   Minutes of Meeting 11th July 2012 were agreed and signed by the chairman.

 3.   Matters Arising:

       Stewardship Renewal October 2013 & Fencing 2 years later –

      Although the renewal of the Stewardship Scheme is down to a visit/inspection by

      Dan Tuson, it was suggested that we write to extend our interest in the Scheme and

      ongoing management of the common. 

      With regard to the Time Limited Fencing, as this is separate from the Stewardship Scheme,

       it was agreed that this would not be decided upon until the decision/outcome of the

      Stewardship Scheme.

4.   Correspondence – Ann had received a phone call re parking on the Minnis by the resident

      of 5 Minnis Field following action by Kevin who had placed a note on the van’s 

      windscreen requesting the driver to stop parking on the Minnis.  Another note was applied 

      to the windscreen of a van that was parked on the left of the Bossingham Road, which 

      seems to have had the desired effect.

5.   Bracken Control on trial area completed.

 6.   Reports -

a)      Secretary – as above (see Correspondence)

b)      Grazing – the cattle had been increased from 8 to 12 to eat all the grass that has grown so quickly in the recent weeks.  It was also suggested that next year the cattle should be placed in the north area first.

c)      Ponds/School Liaison – the oak trees appear to being looked after by the school.  Tidying up around the perimeter of Coxsole pond is to be attempted.

d)     Mowing – We completed this in two stages this year due to the inclement weather.  Our special thanks have been extended to Neil who worked on despite suffering with his health.

 e)      Trees/Scrub/Bird Boxes/Owl Boxes/Surveys – nothing reported due to Steve’s absence, but it was thought that Derrie may still be assisting with dormice handling.

Re tidying up Minnis it was discussed that the area in front of the Lowes property would be attended to.

Boundary hedges and trees to be clarified as to whose responsibility it is re cutting down or lopping etc.

7.   Press Release – Charlie to contact Nick Smith to put a note in Parish Magazine re planning 

      applications which are next to the Minnis and also require access across the Minnis for

      building supplies etc.

8.   AOB – Ann had received a request from a member of the public to replenish the gateways

      with more hogging.

9.   Date and time of next meeting – 7.30pm, 16 January 2013, Stelling Minnis Village Hall



Back to top ▲


  

 

Page designed and produced for Stelling Minnis Parish Council by Nick Smith  -

13 January 2006.  Updated 16 October 2017

 

Web site url and hosting facilities provided by Simon Wood of Terabyte Computing Ltd